Hair & Beauty
The Hair and Beauty department at All Saints' Academy is a very successful department with 100% of students gaining a Pass or higher. The department prides itself on meeting the needs of each individual learner, both from support provided in and out of the lesson, but also allowing the student to tailor their learning and coursework focus to their specific interest. Students will be taught by an industry professional with a background in VIP clients and international travel.
Members of the Department
Mrs C Snape - Head of Hair and Beauty
Key Stage 4
Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy has been and remains an extremely popular vocational area that many young people are enthused by and aspire too. The aim of this qualification is to use the hair and beauty sector as a vehicle to develop learners more broadly, so they are sufficiently prepared and equipped with the knowledge, understanding and skills to pursue a career in any context.
The VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ) aims to support young people to:
• develop a broad and comprehensive understanding of the hair and beauty sector
• develop a significant knowledge core which spans the entire vocational sector and related industries
• develop academic and study skills that will support progression within the hair and beauty sector and more broadly.
During Year 9, the students are introduced to the hair and beauty sector and complete a series of projects based around the units that they will study in years 10 and 11.
VTCT Level 2 Certificate in Hairdressing and Beauty Therapy (VRQ)
During Year 10 and 11 the following 4 units will be studied (order may vary depending on VTCT assessment windows):-
- Understanding the hair and beauty sector
- Hair and beauty research project
- Responding to a hair and beauty design brief
- Hair and beauty science
Key Stage 5
The VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapies is a technical level qualification that provides learners with the knowledge, understanding and skills to work as a massage therapist either as an employee or in a self-employed capacity. This qualification is based on Habia National Occupational Standards (NOS).
VTCT Level 3 Diploma in Massage Therapies (Tech level)
The following units will be studied throughout both years 12 and 13:-
1. Indian Head Massage
2. Stone therapy
3. Promote and sell products and services
4. Contribute to the effective running of a business
5. Client care and consultation
6. Anatomy and physiology for the face and body systems
7. Swedish massage
8. History and origins of massage therapies
9. Health and safety in the salon
Beauty Therapy covers a wide range of employment opportunities in one of the fastest growing industries. It includes jobs in salons, hotels, fitness centres, airlines and cruise ships. The skills that you gain during the level 2 and 3 course are highly desirable for any career in customer services. These courses enable students to progress to university courses such as Beauty Therapy Management, Cosmetic Science, Media Hair and Make up and many more.
- Steiner visit us every year for a recruitment talk for careers involving hair beauty and sports careers aboard the cruise ships.
- LUSH come in to do workshops where they talk about ingredients in their products and the ethics of the hair and beauty industry. Students are also able to make and take home their own products.
- We visit MONU, a professional skincare company to look around their manufacturing factory to learn about the products ingredients and how they are made and produced.
- There are many professionals who come in to give use talks on a range of treatments and products.
- We have a very popular Hair and Beauty club for all ages. Years 9 to 13 have the chance to teach and help Year 7 and 8 students with treatments they have learnt in class.