Biology involves the study of a wide range of exciting topics. This ranges from molecular biology, the study of ecosystems and from microorganisms to mammoths.
Biology is never far from the headlines either. The human genome has been sequenced and we now know the complete arrangement of the three thousand million bases that make up human DNA. In Kenya 350 people die every day from AIDS. In South East Asia the skies are dark with smoke as the last Bornean rainforests are burned to grow oil palms. Biologists are concerned with all of these issues. They work in the fields of cell biology, medicine, food production and ecology, and the work they do is vital to us all. A-Level Biology is a fantastic subject to take, offering you access to a huge variety of fields in both university courses and careers. University courses you could study with Biology A-Level include Biology, Zoology, Marine Biology, Forensic Science and Medicine.
• The AS is a one year course which comprises of four topics:
1. Biological molecules
3. Organisms exchange substances with their environment
4. Genetic information, variation and relationships between organisms
• The A Level is a two year course which comprises of eight topics (4 of which are studied at AS):
5. Energy transfers in and between organisms
6. Organisms respond to changes in their internal and external environments
7. Genetic, populations, evolution and ecosystems
8. The control of gene expression
• The AS is assessed after one year with two written exams lasting 1 hour 30 minutes each and each exam carries equal weighting. There is no coursework. Practical skills are taught throughout the course with allocated exam marks based on practical skills.
• The A Level is assessed after two years with three written exams lasting 2 hours each and each exam carries equal weighting. There is no coursework. Practical skills are taught throughout the course with allocated exam marks based on practical skills.
GCSE Grade B in Core Science and Additional Science OR GCSE Grade B in Chemistry and Biology if Triple Science is takenGCSE Grade 6 in English and Maths.